Book launch and signing
About the book: Aqua-Clare's Ocean Adventure
Plastic straws, bottles and cans…what to do with all this stuff from the land? So how do you tackle the problem of rubbish in the Ocean? You do it with your friends of course!
The worlds growing plastic problem is a huge and daunting subject as well as the task to bring about change. So how do we inspire our children and bring awareness to this subject?
With the aid of her friend Aqua-Clare, author Elizabeth Solich has found a way, by making connections with fun and interesting Ocean characters. All of which have their story to tell of the Oceans unwanted artefacts.
Elizabeth and Aqua-Clare bring a message that is simple, passionate and heart felt whilst introducing some of South Australia’s most iconic marine species, making powerful connections for the future advocates of our planet.
Who wouldn’t’ want to help Cedric the Old Wife out and then hang around for more adventures with a sleepy Squid or Cyril the Seahorse?? Aqua-Clare helps and takes it all in her stride, as she goes on a scuba diving adventure to help her new-found friends.
Through this story and adventure, author Elizabeth Solich brings two big worlds together to deliver one simple message about just what you can do to help make a difference to the world around you and the often-unseen world of the Ocean.
Elizabeth challenges boundaries and beautifully captures a mostly unknown underwater world through her art. Utilizing an environmentally aware story, she shares her passion for the underwater world and all its weird and wonderful creations.
This is a beautiful and creative book that advocates for environmental conservation, change and preservation while striving to increase awareness amongst a young audience. And big problems are always better solved with the help of your friends.
About the Author - Elizabeth Solich
Adelaide based artist and photographer, Elizabeth Solich, has been honing her skills in underwater photography for the past seven years. She has dived extensively throughout South Australia and her favourite dive sites include Port Hughes, Edithburgh and Rapid Bay jetties. Solich has also dived in the Phillipines, Fiji and Indonesia and makes regular tips to Amed and Tulamben. Originally an architecture student, Solich blended her photography skills and underwater observations of the fauna and flora with her drawing and painting experience, bringing about a perfect marriage of her two passions. Elizabeth’s evolution into underwater photography allowed her to introduce another element to this union and extend the range of her talent even further. Her observations of marine fauna and flora allows Elizabeth to challenge boundaries, capturing the underwater world utilising environmentally aware story telling in the exploration of movement and composition. Elizabeth shares her passion for everything underwater with the world. Through her artwork she expresses her never ending admiration for the weird and wonderful underwater creations of nature. Her works have been displayed at various exhibitions in Australia and overseas. Elizabeth is a member of the Royal South Australian Society of Arts.
Book purchases available on the day - $15 (signing included)
Followed by activities in the Marine Discovery Centre
* Aquariums featuring local South Australian marine creatures such as the Port Jackson Shark, Goby's, Big-Bellied Seahorses, Southern Fiddler Ray, Porcupine Fish, Murray River Turtle and more
* Brand new Virtual Reality Headsets giving you the opportunity to explore under the sea without getting wet. Underwater virtual reality experiences include Australian Sea Lions, Leafy Seadragons, swimming under the Henley Beach Jetty, and Google Expeditions to the Great Barrier Reef
* Kaurna education Room (The Wodli) is an interactive room which highlights the relationship that Kaurna people have with the Adelaide Plains and the coast.
* Interactive models featuring our brand new diving games, brand new beachcombing game plus oceanography, climate change, marine debris, marine habitats, touchscreens, sustainable fishing, stormwater, beachcombing, and get hands-on with our microscopes.
* Each person will receive a free beachcombing sheet to take home